March 20, 2008

ROCK PARTY!

GEORGE THOROGOOD And The THE DESTROYERS
Melbourne, Florida March 19th 2008



















The bad boys are back in town. At 58, George still knows how to rock and roll. His stage persona is an odd mix of Chuck Berry moves, and an Andrew Dice Clay-like guy who knows he's the shit, but can also censor himself and deflate his ego all at once.

















I imagine most of his set is the same as the last time I saw him in 1985 - "Bad to the Bone," "Move It On Over," "Who Do You Love," "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" and my fave "I Drink Alone".

Although he did add a few new favorites the rockin' "Rock Party" (which kicked off the show), and "I Got My Eyes on You" both from his 2006 CD, "The Hard Stuff", and "Get a Haircut" from the '90's. I had to cut out during the first encore, so I'm not sure if another favorite of mine "Madison Blues" was played or not.



















At one point a young boy (a band member's son?) joined them onstage and shaked maracas. At the end of the tune George jammed with him at the stage's edge, kool indeed.




















George sounded and looked great, it's a solid show he presents, with much nostalgia and singing along. But, The Destroyers bill themselves as the World's Greatest Bar Band, and I think that would be the best place to see them...a bar, small hall, or festival where you can get up and boogie!



















Jim Suhler and Monkey Beat opend the show. Jim is an amazing guitarist, and also a member of the Destroyers. I read one review that said " there are two guitarists in the Destroyers. One is brilliant, the other is George"...I'm not sure I'd go that far, but the guy does kick ass.

Madison Blues

madisonblues.mp3



GEORGE THOROGOOD AND THE DESTROYERS

JIM SUHLER

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I love your blog!

Ok, this post brought back some great memories of my own seeing George back in the 80's. I think it was 81, it was a Rolling Stones concerts and there were about 7 bands (an all day outside gig) I think George was right in front of J Geils who opened for the Stones.

He sure does look good for an old guy. I think 58 is pretty young these days :)

You closed your poll but i would have voted to the the photographer for Van Halen.

I am adding you to my links!