February 24, 2008

ROCK ON FILM

In Theaters NOW!
U23D!


















Yesterday we went to the theater to see the (wide release) opening weekend of of U2's phenomenal, and ground breaking new concert film U23D. Very kool indeed. These guys just constantly lift the bar higher and higher without losing the heart and soul of the band.














Sadly I was feeling a bit under the weather while watching, which distracted me from the film a bit, especially when I had to excuse myself for a few moments. But, I will say that the 3D effects delvoped by 3ality Digital is incredible! At one point it seemed as if you could reach out and slap Bono five.











The ticket price was about twice that of a regular movie, but it is the premiere of the new technology, so I hope the price goes down as more 3D features are released. I would still suggest that everyone go see this while it is in the theaters (they say it won't go to DVD).


















As much as I enjoyed the film, I can't help but to think how amazing it would have been would have been if it had been used for the highly visual ZOOtv tour film (one of my favorite concert films) which was recently released on DVD for the first time.

















I also enjoyed seeing the band's first feature film "Rattle and Hum" on it's opening day back in 1989 in Ft. Lauderdale. A great document of the band's Joshua Tree Tour in America. I recently saw the film again, and it stands the test of time, as does the newly issued 20th Anniversary package of the Joshua Tree album.

a few other U2 films:
U2 - Elevation Tour 2001 - Live from Boston
U2 - Vertigo 2005 - Live From Chicago
U2 Go Home - Live From Slane Castle
U2: Popmart Live from Mexico City

here are a few vintage U2 live recording for your enjoyment:

People Get Ready - Osaka '89


People get ready.mp3


Maggie's Farm -NJ '85


Maggie's Farm.mp3





U23D
U2

No comments: