April 01, 2008

SHINE A LIGHT!

Amen!














I became a lifelong Rolling Stones fan in 1974, when at aged 14 I piled into a car with a bunch of friends and drove from South Miami to the Cameo Theater in Miami Beach to see the movie "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones!". A film that 'toured' the country with a massive quadraphonic sound system. Fantastic film, amazing sound!

Thanks to the 16 (yes 16!) tickets I won over the weekend from the local radio station Sunny 105.9, last night I had the pleasure of taking my 10 year old son (and a dozen friends), to see his first Stones movie at the local premiere of Martin Scorsese's new concert documentary "Shine a Light" featuring The Rolling Stones in concert.













my portrait of a slightly younger(!) Mick



As far as Scorsese rock-documentaries go...he's now 3 for 3 in my book (he also directed the rock-doc chart topper "The Band's Last Waltz", and the more recent Bob Dylan Bio pic "No Direction Home")....as for the Stones, they just keep on proving your never, ever too old to rock 'n' roll! After all, the blues men jam until they drop.












The IMAX film , clocks in at 2 hours and 2 minutes, is beautifully shot (although maybe a few too many close ups!), and has impeccable sound, and really has a nice variety of Stones tunes. Some of my favorite song selections were: Shattered, She Was Hot, All Down the Line, As Tears Go By, and Some Girls.
Plus, on a few songs some great cameo's like: Loving Cup - with Jack White, Champagne & Reefer - with Buddy Guy, Live With Me - with Christina Aguilera. When I last saw the Stones in Miami '94, they did this last one with Sheryl Crow for the HBO Pay-Per View Concert.

But, I think the highlight of the film for me was not the cameos, nor the Clintons, the old news footage, or even the giant screen. It was an amazing sequence of (my favorite singer in the band) Keith Richards standing at the mic, minus guitar, belting out the song that made him my favorite - "You Got The Silver" - bloody awesome.


The movie opens nationally this Friday (4/4). Go see it if you can, you won't be sorry, my son wasn't - he sat mesmerized for the whole thing!
Next I'm off for the soundtrack.


A few other Stones films I've enjoyed over the years:
Rock n Roll Circus
Gimme Shelter
Let's Spend the Night Together
Video Rewind
Stripped
Forty Flicks


....for your listening pleasure I'm attaching a rare take of that Keith song - with Mick signing the lead. Enjoy.

Rare Mick lead vocal


You've Got The Silver.mp3






SHINE A LIGHT

MARTIN SCORSESE

THE ROLLING STONES

1 comment:

kit e kat said...

That film was amazing, and has turned me into a Stones lover! Thanks so much for the tickets...we had a great time :D